Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What a weekend!

I was worried I would have nothing to do over the long Easter holiday, but I was wrong!
Friday I went on a Harbour Boat Cruise. Auckland is on two harbours and has the highest population of yacht owners in the world. There were over 4000 yachts in the harbour! On the cruise I had a delicious steak lunch. The weather was warm and the sights were beautiful!

Saturday I went on a tour of 3 different winery and vineyards. At each stop we tasted many different wines and cheeses. The last stop was my favorite. Westbrook was beautiful. It had a river and an amazing view of mountains and grape vines. We also saw some black sand beaches, had a cafe lunch and ate fresh strawberry ice cream! That night I had a fancy dinner with my host family at a friend's house.

On Easter I went to the local Catholic church for mass. It was interesting how they say the same prayers but use different words. That afternoon I spent on the beach. It was warm out and I enjoyed laying in the sun. That night I went to a BBQ with a group of teachers.

Monday and Tuesday I went on a two day tour of the Bay of Islands. This is the area where New Zealand was founded and a treaty was signed with the Maori Natives in 1840. I learned so much about their history and saw some old buildings. I went on a boat ride in some rocky water to see the "Hole in the Rock." When the weather is better you can drive a boat right through it. I also went on a "yellow submarine" to see the fish in the bay.

This week in school I am starting to teach a reading and math group. I am beginning with the intermediate leveled students. I am looking forward, but nervous for full control. Teachers here have lots of work to do! I'm glad there is tea time!

1 comment:

Emily In Training said...

Yay for a yellow submarine! I'm glad you're having a good time. Was the hole in the rock anything like that big hole in the ground in Arizona?