Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Feet First

Today I went along with the senior class (year 4,5,6) on a walk to the intermediate school (middle school) for a feet first initiative. The country is promoting walking to school so student get more exercises and the air is less polluted. Some area schools are taking part in this. On Wednesdays we have "Walking Wednesday" and everyone who walks to school receives a number on their hand. At the end of the day numbers are drawn for prizes. Anyways, the field trip was great! We walked about 20 minutes to the other school and then watched a presentation. Each school had a skit or song about walking. My school did a dance to the Locomotion. The intermediate school did a tradition Maori welcome for all the important people who were there. Maoris are the native people of New Zealand. I took a quick video of their presentation. It was like nothing I have seen before and even startled me a bit. I will do my personal best to put up pictures and video tomorrow after school. After the presentations, the Minister of Education from Parliament spoke! The we went outside to play games, had lunch and walked home.

After school I attended a staff meeting about ESOL. (English as a Second Oral Language) It was very interesting. The topic was on vocabulary and how to teach students how English words have many different meanings and contexts. The staff did a few activities together and held a great discussion. I have a few new classroom tricks to use, that can really help any child's vocabulary. A survey was done in the school, and 10 of my 26 students speak other languages at home, including French, Chinese, and other pacific island languages.

Tomorrow I am setting up a "timetable" with my teacher about the process of class take over. I am nervous because EVERYTHING is done with the students grouped according to level. For example in reading there are 5 groups. There is no basic reading text book the whole class uses. The teacher has leveled small books she reads with them and sends home. I have to plan like this for writing and math too! I also plan gym, but luckily- I know how to "Do The Dragon."

1 comment:

Emily In Training said...

Sounds like you are having many fun adventures! I'm glad you are getting this experience.