Monday, March 17, 2008

The First Days

Well- after flying for the whole weekend and losing Saturday I am here. My host family is very friendly and helpful.
The school here is amazing! Nothing like home! The primary school is a whole campus. The classrooms are all in different small and open buildings around the grounds. There are gardens and fields everywhere! The classrooms are loud, but a good kind of loud. Students are vocally reading and learing all the time. I am in a year 2 class, which is like out first grade. All my students are 6 years old. Today we are having a volcano drill!

Lunch time is up so I must go back to class! Write more soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie,
This is such a great opportunity for you!! I am so excited to read more about your wonderful experiences!!
What happens during a volcano drill?

~Laura (Hamlin Staff 2004/2005)

Emily In Training said...

That's so cool that the classrooms are individual buildings. I think I would like that a lot. I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you! I love you and miss you!

Kiwi KTP said...

In a volcano drill you close and the windows and doors and sit in the classroom. All the classrooms are open and the doors lead to open outside hallways, so I guess closing them would help. The volcanos in Auckland have been "sleeping" (the word we used with my 6 year olds) for over 600 yrs so its really not a huge concern here. But I sure thought it was cool!

Deb Doodle said...

Katie,
What a thrill to read your blog. What an eye opening, stimulating, challenging, culture appreciating, intellectual deepening and life changing experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us all.
We are so very proud that you're not just traveling, but also using this experience to connect us all to the larger world.
much love... aunt deb